Friday, January 10, 2014

Teaching our own culture is fun!

I was teaching  the Japanese language for 3 months  to a Malaysian Chinese lady  who had lived in the US  for 8 years when she was in her teens. 6 months ago her husband was transferreded from Singapore to Japan so last month she had to follow him with her children and mother . Last August, I was employed by the American  Language and Culture Training Company .I was introduced by 1 of my Singapore friends who is a professor in  NUS teaching the Japanese Arts ..

Once after  we moved back to Japan in 2009,  I have seen  many foreigners who are either travelers or residents struggled to get on well  with local Japanese  and mostly  could not enjoy the real and new experiences .Maybe  Japanese people  might seem to be not  helpful for the foreigners.
Generally they are kind but they have very little chances  to speak English with the foreigners  so  they are scared to talk and help .These people are just too shy.
In Japan we speak very carefully not to didturb anyone and try to read their  expression.and gesture .Here  nobody reads my thought without any words.How far from Singapore and the  US!

Actually this case is not only for the foreigners  but for Japanese too. They seldom talk outside to the strangers, so I did feel they have had  masks not to show their real expression. It is a fact that most of them do fear in making mistakes.As thus,they prefer to do nothing in their efforts to communicate with the others.

In Singapore,things are just the opposite. I lived here from 2004-2009.I too accompanied my husband just like my student.After starting my life in Singapore,I did realize what a joyless life I have had in Japan for 50 years! At that time,I did not think that it was something very unusual as a typical Japanese woman .Since I'm both outstanding and socialable,I've been much happier than the normal Japanese people but,in Singapore this is still at an inadequate level.I told myself that ,'Oh!I can say anything I want to the others!Well,isn't it rude?'The local people have been very kind,helpful and they are always pleased to help me whenever I had troubles even before me asking for it.  I was here,I too could not speak English at all.

In those past 5 years,I have made friends of various races here and this is 1 of my greatest treasure in my life.I do want to share these precious experiences with the Japanese youth who are feeling inconvenient in their motherland.If they can try to make a change,their life will be better for sure.

Since it was the 1st attempt for my student in learning the Japanese language,she did have a hard time in the initial stage.I tried to make my class a  pleasant 1 to draw her interest. Learning the foreign language is also learning about a different culture.She made every effort  and amazingly she started to speak  to me  just after  30 hours lessons !In Japan people learn English for 6-10 years or more  but they hesitate to speak in English in the public.. But she dared to speak using simple words!

This teaching experience reminded me of the 2 British English teachers who I had met in in Singapore during our life here.They have given me lots of interest about the British culture and I also learned to have a matured mind.I attended their school  3 times a week and continued till 1 week before we left for Japan in 2009.I really liked their classes and tried to comprehend their jokes too. I  also had Korean and Chinese friends  there ...
.
Thus,I learned to mingle well with the foreigners through the English language.If I had not met the teachers, I would not have many foreign friends who are still in my present life and I would not have taught about our language and the real culture to her.So now I felt that I could repay for them.

In my blog in Japanese ,I have asked my readers to take care of the foreigners who need any kind of help as I have fully experienced that kind of situation.I hope my student's big smile seen at my class will continue till her last day of her life in Japan.When she returns to Singapore after 2 years,she might miss Japan.

Now,I'm busily writing in the Japanese blog to show the Singapore newspapers' explanation of their fair opinions especially about the historical issues which I learnt  here not in Japan  and also Mr.Lee Kwan Yew's opinion about Japan which was published last August.I've always encouraged the young people to go abroad to crack their hard shells with the cultural shocks just like me!


                                               Our last Japanese class    Dec 6, 2013
                                          Surprisingly she really enjoyed writing Hiragana!

Happy Cooking Class at our   kitchen !  Dec 10 ,2013
She left here for Japan  on Dec 13
                                             She is  making rolled eggs !
Well done!!
 
 
 
                                              She is preparing Bento!
                                                        
 
 
  


   I made the Rice Balls for her to break the ice!
                                                                                   (Rice Balls)
*I wrote about same topic in Japanese blog.
http://ameblo.jp/yokoabiko0502/entry-11732170134.html
 
 
                               
 

 

 












.


























No comments:

Post a Comment