Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Udo Wild edible plant 3

                                                   Japanese salad with Udo


                                                                        Udo with Wakame seaweed 
                                                     Tempura of Udo.

Tempura of the skin and stems
                                                                         
 Udo is my favorite wild edible plant among all .Normaly it has 2 types, one is picked up in the mountains and the other one is cultivated which is bleached  just like white asparagus .We seldom  get the first ones  at the green grocer  so when I found it in April , I was thrilled and my mouth became watery.
When we lived in the country side in Hyogo Prefecture till 2004  , 1 spring  my neighbor  gave me  a few  bunches of Udo . They got it when they went for their favorite spot , hiking . They knew I like  it so much  .So  I really miss the  green Udo.
It had  a very good and strong  flavor , I felt  spirit of the mountain. After peeling the skin,I immediately  have to soak all of it   in water with some vinegar otherwise it 'll turn  black..
We can eat all the parts of it even the skin and the edge of the stalks and  leaves,too.
                                                              
                                                                                

                                                             Udo from the moutain .

                                         
                                                 Cultivated Udo

                                                                       
                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment